Monday, July 22, 2013

My Trip to the Great Wall of China


First, I want to apologize to all of my readers for not posting the past two weeks.  I have been having some technological difficulties with my laptop and my VPN (Virtual Private Network), which allows me to access websites—such as this one—that are not accessible in China.  (I will write more about this national issue in a later post.)  All fixed for now, fingers crossed!

Second, I would like to tell you all about my trip to the Great Wall, which was now two Saturdays ago.  My friends and I took a bus to the Mutianyu section of the wall, which should be about a two-hour drive away from campus—without traffic.  Since many tour buses make a lot of their profit by bringing the tourists on their buses to different souvenir factories on their way to and from the wall, Mutianyu is much less populated than the more popular Badaling section.  While some may prefer Badaling’s touristy atmosphere, Mutianyu’s visitors can enjoy a section of the wall that is almost empty and can really absorb what it has looked like throughout history, with its magnificent architecture in the middle of a mountain landscape that is just as beautiful.  If you are interested, you can read more about Mutianyu on the following website: http://www.mutianyugreatwall.net

Finally, I would like to share a couple tips with you all about purchasing water or souvenirs at the shacks near the entrance to where you begin climbing the wall.  Simply being in that environment, you will learn a little bit about bargaining and a lot about being a strategic player in what really feels like a game sometimes.
1)  Do not pay “full price” for anything.  The salespeople know that you, as a tourist, will fit into one of the following three categories of tourists: the first is a tourist who will pay the full price that he is told because he does not know any better, the second is a tourist who knows a little bit of Chinese and may bargain a little bit, and the third is a tourist who is fluent in Chinese and will pay whatever he wants to pay.  Hint: you want to be third type of tourist, even if you have to pretend to be fluent by knowing the basic bargaining terms cold.  The third type of tourist knows that the first price the salespeople will tell you is really up to 10 times more expensive than you should end up paying when you are done bargaining.
2)  Bring your own water bottles or buy them at one of the shacks for 5 kuai (80¢ U.S.) before beginning your climb.  The salespeople on top of the Great Wall know that you are dehydrated and need water when you finally get to the top, so they charge 20 kuai ($3.25 U.S.) more than at the shacks.  I understand that, to Americans, this is not a lot of money, but in China, 20 kuai goes a long way; that would pay for half a month’s worth of breakfasts in the cafeteria for me.  It’s a difference of paying 80¢ for a bottle of water or paying $4.05, which is five times more expensive and means you are being ripped off by Chinese standards.  (On the other hand, I am not condoning anyone be dehydrated, so if you are at the top and you do not have water, please buy an overpriced one!)
My friends and I just casually lounging around on the Great Wall :)

No comments:

Post a Comment